How to quit smoking and not put the weight on? Part 1
From 5 persons who have quit smoking, 4 gain approximately 2-5 kg. However, as a rule after some time all return to their usual form.
Science says: harm for health from smoking one pack of cigarettes a day is comparable with 40-50 kg of extra weight.
Why people who have quit smoking gain weight?
Truly speaking, smoking is an assistant in controlling extra weight (however this is too expensive for lungs, heart and other organs). Smoker's body gets used with the following:
1. Smoking restrains hunger. The point is that nicotine furthers glycogen secretion by liver, as result increases a little level of sugar in the blood and that is why appetite eases a little. While metabolism will not come to normal, person that has quit smoking will have approximately half of kilogram every week weight gain.
2. Smoking facilitates calories burning. Nicotine hastens metabolism and heart beating and when smoker quits smoking; his body burns approximately 100 calories less a day. Only after several weeks or months metabolism comes to normal.
3. Smoking makes general state better. Tobacco increases level of dopamine ("pleasure hormone") in the brain. But high-calorie delicacies influence quite similar, it is possible that after quitting smoking person will start eating a lot of sweets.
4. Smoking dulls a little taste sensors. After smoking refusal food becomes tastier and has more pleasant aroma, probably, that is why, person wants to eat oftener and oftener.
5. Smoking occupies hands and mouth. This is true for food as well.
6. Smoking is very reliable habit. Many people use food and cigarettes as way of struggle with boredom stress.
It is not as difficult as it may seem. First, weight can increase a little; it is, first of all, because of metabolism normalization. Besides, even among heavy smokers there are quite many fatties. Reason of weight increase is that ex-smokers often substitute smoke breaks with food breaks.